Dental Malocclusion in Copperas Cove, TX
Request An Appointment
What Are The Causes of Dental Malocclusion?
In many cases, malocclusion of teeth and jaws occurs due to genetics. If your parents have misaligned teeth, there is a high possibility that you may develop it too. Normally, upper teeth form a slightly larger curve to cover your lower teeth. But if you have dental malocclusion, this curve may have an abnormal positioning resulting in an overbite, deep bite, cross bite, or other issues.
Apart from genetics, some other common causes of malocclusion include the following:
- Frequent thumb-sucking habit during childhood
- Prolonged use of pacifier or bottle feeding beyond the age of 3
- Trauma or injury
- Excessive teeth grinding (bruxism)
- Abnormal tooth eruption pattern
- Supernumerary (extra) teeth, missing teeth, odd-shaped teeth, or impacted teeth
- Tumors of the jaws or oral cavity
Questions About Dental Malocclusion?
Classes of Dental Malocclusion
Before discussing possible treatment options for dental malocclusion in Copperas Cove, TX, we will identify the class of this condition. It has three variations based on the way your upper and lower teeth meet during biting:
- Class I Occlusion occurs when the upper teeth sit over the lower teeth in a balanced manner. It may present with minor spacing or misalignment but is overall considered normal.
- Class II Occlusion occurs when the upper teeth overlap the lower teeth, making the lower jaw appear far behind its normal position. It results in a convex facial profile.
- Class III Occlusion occurs when the lower jaw and teeth are placed much more forward than the upper one. It causes the appearance of a concave facial profile.
Real Patient Reviews
See what our happy patients say about us
4.8 Avg Rating
304 Total Reviews
Review from W.B.
Review from K.S.
Review from K.G.
Review from W.B.
What Are The Treatments For Dental Malocclusion in Copperas Cove
After your dental evaluation, our dentists will decide the most suitable options to correct malocclusion. Our treatments for dental malocclusion in Copperas Cove, TX, may include conventional braces, clear teeth aligners, or teeth retainers. We will design a comprehensive treatment plan to target all your orthodontic needs.
Since most people feel uncomfortable wearing metal braces, our practice proudly offers Invisalign clear aligners. These are clear aligners that are designed specifically to correct orthodontic flaws. Apart from non-invasive methods, our team may suggest surgical options to fix jaw positioning if you have severe jaw-related problems.